Sugar can be deadly. It increases your risk for diabetes and heart disease and is a major cause of the obesity epidemic killing thousands of Americans each year. Sugar-sweetened drinks are to blame for nearly half (46%) of the added sugar in our diet. Because it stimulates the same area of the brain, sugar can be as addictive as cigarettes or cocaine.
Just 1-2 cans of sugary drinks a day can seriously damage your health:
• 25% greater risk for Type 2 Diabetes;
• 20% greater chance of heart attack; and
• 60% greater chance of childhood obesity.
The American Heart Association recommends limiting added sugar to no more than 100 calories a day for women and 150 for men.
If you wait, it may be too late!
You may look and feel fine; however, sugary drinks are associated with high cholesterol and blood pressure, increased risk of heart disease, and spikes in blood sugar, which can lead to diabetes.
Protect Your Health
The Link to Losing Weight
Did you know that you have to walk 3 miles to
burn off calories from just one 20
Sugary drinks are like liquid candy. They have no nutritional value and can cause weight gain. Shutting out, or reducing your number of sugar-sweetened drinks each day, is an easy way to cut calories for a healthier body.
• Start by giving up at least one sugar-sweetened drink a day and avoid super-sized servings
• Make water your #1 choice
• Switch to no-calorie drinks to break the sugar habit
• Eat fresh fruit instead of drinking fruit juices
• Limit sugary drinks to a special treat
5 Easy Ways to Shut Out Sugar
Sugar Calories Add Up Fast!